[Olug-list] Anti-MS

Per Inge Oestmoen pioe@coldsiberia.org
Sat, 06 Apr 2002 09:57:52 +0200

Do you have any comments to this little piece which I plan to build
out to a serious article? Is there something I could/should add? Are
the comments about the relations between free and commercial solutions
incomplete, and what more could be said?

Linux at the desktop

By Per Inge Oestmoen, Norway

It is beyond doubt that it was very wise of the Linux movement to
start with and spend its "childhood" on the server market. This
because the server world is the backbone of network computing and of
the Internet, and because Linux and Open Source is a widespread
standard within the network sector, the proprietary software companies
cannot possibly outlaw it by extensive lobbying towards politicians
and lawmakers or by buying themselves into hardware makers in order to
force them into producing motherboards incompatible with Linux and OS
programs.

However, the ultimate future of Linux and Open Source depends on its
ability to win the desktop. Unless everyday users can discover that
Linux an attractive choice, Windows will continue to rule.

The opportunity for Linux/Open Source to win the desktop has never
been greater than what it is now. Why? Because of the software
straitjacket into which Microsoft and most probably other software
companies want to force their users.

With the XP series' Product Activation the user has been made
dependent on the software company's service in order to install his or
her working tool on his or her own personal computer. It is really odd
that this aspect has seldom been brought to the fore, even if forced
registration or/and activation means that the user cannot install and
use the program(s) independent on the software company. This means
that the software company has effectively taken control over the
machine. When the activation/registration service is unavailable, the
program version one has is no longer supported, or the company for
some reason refuses to authorize the installation, one has paid for a
bunch of useless code, and the machine will be unusable.

If a software company controls the software on the computer, it de
facto is in control of the whole machine and its use.

It should be fairly obvious that from a user viewpoint it is
completely intolerable to use software that cannot be installed and
used today, tomorrow and in X number of years, on the present or
future computer of our choice, without any need for "permission" from
a software company.

We need to make people aware of the ramifications of forced
registration and activation schemes, and this is the strongest
argument for Linux and Open Source solutions: They give people back
their right to be masters of their own computers.

A similar reasoning can be used in connection with the software
business' plans to change software from individual, personal and
locally controlled working tools into subscription services. With
software as a rented service it is impossible to do as much as write a
letter to Grandma without having paid the subscription. With the
coming of hard drives and storage media with ever greater storage
capacity it is totally unneccessary as well as very unwise to base our
computing on software as a subscription service.

Data security in its broadest sense, encompassing but of course not
limited to each unit's or individual's full control over the software
and hardware, can only be maintained by local solutions where each
firm and each user controls the computers, and if the large software
businesses intend to secure their future revenue by going over to
software rental as their business model, we ought to just say no. This
is another very strong reason why Linux and Open Source is a much
preferable solution.

We know that the large software companies have grave misgivings
against Open Source. Some representatives of the proprietary software
business have gone so far as to call Open Source a threat to the
intellectual property business, and they have even stated that they
may not have done enough to make the lawmakers "understand the
threat." Such sinister language testifies to the proprietary software
businesses' very correctly perceiving Open Source a threat. But
exactly to what is Open Source a threat?

Open Source is a threat to the controlling business model of the large
companies who make proprietary software, a model which imposes strong
restrictions on the users' use of the software. This is what we need
to make people aware of. It is of course not a threat to the
intellectual property as such. Open Source is itself protected by
copyright, which also ensures a writer his or her right to protect the
code from being appropriated by a large company.

The thing is that the large proprietary software makers do not want
people to go choose Open Source solutions. In particular they do not
want Open Source to win the desktop. That is why they are very eager
to spread the impression that Linux and Open Source is not suitable
for desktop computing. They cannot outlaw it because Linux is already
so firmly entrenched in the server market, so they have to use another
clever strategy. What they can do is make every effort to convince the
public that only proprietary software as produced by Microsoft and
others can be functional and useful. That is why some corporate
lawyers and analysts have written elaborately about the alleged
shortcomings of Open Source as a viable desktop solution.

It is imperative to realize that this is their way of fighting for
their own future. The restrictive software licenses and other schemes
that deprive the user of proprietary software of the possibility to be
master ower one's own computer is not to the computer owners'
advantage, but they are mechanisms employed by these businesses in
order to establish and maintain control over their users.

Here the proprietary software companies will predictably defend
themselves by asserting that they need to impose restrictive licenses,
copy"protection" schemes and and other limitations on the users in
order to defend their business and their intellectual property. Now,
Open Source has long ago proven its viability, and the Open Source
model is evidently realistic. This is what the proprietary businesses
have grudgingly had to admit. Hence their misrepresentations of Open
Source, amounting to well planned FUD campaigns. They know full well
that the day a large portion of the world's computer users understands
that the large business model for development, production and
distriburtion of computer software is not needed, the income of these
businesses will be drastically reduced and their centralized,
restrictive and controlling model will find favor with fewer customers.

They habitually justify themselves by referring to the software
business' importance for society because of all the people they employ
and the sizable tax incomes generated. We should not let ourselves be
swaywed by these arguments. The centralized and controlling model for
software development is not necessary, and it is in the long run
detrimental to society because of its strong need to control the
market, the user and their computers in order to secure their revenue.
Which of course lies at the root of all their intolerably restrictive
licenses and regulations. It is also the reason why many of them would
like to hire out software as a subscription service without the option
to have local software installations.

Then, we need to realize that many software companies have to go.
Society cannot possibly accept the restrictions these companies intend
to impose upon us and our computing. We cannot accept their ways
merely because they employ large numbers of people. Since the primary
value of software lies in its worth as working tools, we have to focus
on this aspect instead of letting us be manipulated by the software
industry's attempts to control our future computing.

When the business model of the large companies has finally lived out
its days, there will always be opportunities for smaller firms and
creative individuals who can offer their solutions to the market. It
is another of the misunderstandings deliberately put forward by the
big proprietary software manufacturers that Open Source is about the
demand that everything be free. It is not so. We have every reason to
believe that the computing future in a forever changing world will
always provide opportunities for different free and commercial
creative solutions that will benefit the users as well as create
income for the producers. This variety of solutions should be actively
encouraged by governments and private individuals alike.

In conclusion, we absolutely need to leave the large business model
for development and distriution of software. In this picture, it is
crucially important to understand that Open Source must go to the
desktop and stay there in order for this to happen.

Greetings,
Per Inge
http://www.coldsiberia.org/