[Olug-list] Fwd: Re: StarOffice 6.0

Per Inge Oestmoen pioe@coldsiberia.org
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 15:19:48 +0200

Tor Erik Neuberg wrote:

> Er det meg eller får dere andre litt bakoversveis av dette svaret??

>>Forskjellen mellom StarOffice og OpenOffice er at StarOffice leveres med
>>databaseverktøyet Adabas og brukerstøtte for bedrifter, mens OpenOffice
>>egentlig ikke leveres med noe som helst.

Han er kjøpt og betalt for å snakke slik, selv om det sikkert ikke er
bevisst fra hans side at han har lært at alt annet enn proprietær
programvare er ubrukelig. Det er nødvendig å presentere
motforestillinger til dette forenklede verdensbildet. Skriv tilbake,
vær høflig, men spør forsiktig om hva det betyr at "OpenOffice
egentlig ikke leveres med noe som helst."

Men du sier også:

ps. kjører selv OOo både på XP og SuSE Linux.

Tor Erik Neuberg

- Da håper jeg at du har funnet en måte å omgå Product Activation på.
Men vi bør helst alle avslå å bruke slik programvare, og vi bør også
bevisstgjøre andre om hva som skjer.

http://www.efn.no/free-desktop.html:

"With the XP series' Product Activation the user has been made
dependent on the software company's service in order to install his or
her working tool on his or her own personal computer. It is really odd
that this aspect has seldom been brought to the fore, even if forced
registration or/and activation means that the user cannot install and
use the program(s) independent of the software company. This means
that the software company has effectively taken control of the
machine. When the activation/registration service is unavailable, the
program version one has is no longer supported, or the company for
some reason refuses to authorize the installation, one has paid for a
bunch of useless code, and the machine will be unusable. A variety of
this is of course software that has been programmed to expire after a
predetermined period, which poses no technical difficulty."

"If a software company controls the software on the computer, it de
facto is in control of the whole machine and its use. It should be
fairly obvious that from a user viewpoint it is completely intolerable
to use software that cannot be installed and used today, tomorrow and
in X number of years, on the present or future computer of our choice,
without need for "permission" from a software company."

Ha en fortsatt fin dag alle sammen.

Per Inge

--
Per Inge Oestmoen, Norway