[Olug-list] Re: Vurdert røykeforbud under OLUG-samlingene i bunkeren?

Remco B. Brink remco@rc6.org
Sat, 28 Sep 2002 12:20:02 +0200

Per Inge Oestmoen <pioe@coldsiberia.org> writes:

> "Remco B. Brink" wrote:
>
>> Per Inge Oestmoen <pioe@coldsiberia.org> writes:
>> > It is not an argument. It is a _principle_. Those who live by
>> > principles adhere to beliefs.
>
>> And we all know that people who (fanaticly) adhere to beliefs have a
>> tendency to become quite unreasonable.
>
> The assertion that something is "reasonable" or "unreasonable" is in
> itself a statement based on personal beliefs.

Just as much as the assumption from your side that smoking is
ukultur. I disagree, therefor you can not pose it as a fact.

>> You were however not arguing about lungs but about the habit of
>> smoking, which is a different issue all together.
>
> At last, we may come down to reason. Granted that a certain habit
> leads to inferior lungs over time, what can we then say about the
> nature of its overall contribution to the general culture?

If you think smoking has a negative effect on culture, especially
after you mention the runner who made good times during the height of
his smoking and running career (sport is afterall part of culture as
well), then you'll need to present quite some more compelling
arguments in your favour.

> Lastly: People with vastly more technical competence than myself
> (forgive the little ad verecundiam here, it was an advice given to my
> smoking brother) also state that the presence of microscopic tar and
> soot particles from tobacco smoke shorten the life span of hard drives
> because these particles will sift into the drives and ever so slowly
> attach to the platters.

Ofcourse the next question is how significantly the impact of those
tar particles is compared to the general lifespan of harddisks
nowadays.

> I guess that we may _reasonably_ conclude that any habit that destroys
> _hard_drives_ is most definitely _ukultur_.

Nope, we can reasonably conclude that any habbit that destroys
harddisks is bad for the harddisks.

If it's ukultur or not is a totally different matter altogether ;-)

-rbb

--
   Remco B. Brink -- Information Systems Developer, Opera Software ASA
Personal site at http://rc6.org - PGP/GnuPG key at http://rc6.org/rbb.pgp

People go to synagogue for very different reasons. My friend Joe goes
to talk to God. I go to talk to Joe.