[Olug-list] Re: Converting from UTF-8 to iso-8859-1

Aina&Bones goldengarden at arjang.mail.telia.com
Mon, 15 Nov 2004 13:17:00 +0100

Andreas H wrote:

> Take a look inside /etc/sysconfig/language and change the RC_LANG
> variable (for example mine is nb_NO.ISO-8859-1). You could also change
> this variable in 'yast' under System->/etc/sysconfig
> Editor->System->Environment->Language.

I made the changes you mentioned, at least I think I did but to no
avail. I tried several things in succession. Here is a little log of my
escapade:

TRY No.-1

The original code string at: (/etc/sysconfig/language) - was:
RC_LANG=3D"en_GB.UTF-8"
Changed to: RC_LANG=3D"en_GB.ISO-8859-1"
It resulted in no change as far as norwegian characters are concerned,
or anything else that I could see.

TRY No.-2
Changed the above code string to: RC_LANG=3D"nb_NO.ISO-8859-1"
No change. No norwegian characters show up.

TRY No.-3
Continued on a new code string: RC_LC_ALL=3D""
Changed the code to: RC_LC_ALL=3D"ISO-8859-1"
No change. Norwegian characters still don't show.

TRY No.-4
Change the above code to: RC_LC_ALL=3D"nb_NO.ISO-8859-1"
No change. Still no norsk characters.

TRY No.-5
Continue on new code string: RC_LC_CTYPE=3D""
Change the code to RC_LC_CTYPE=3D"ISO-8859-1"
No effect.

TRY No.-6
change above code to: RC_LC_CTYPE=3D"nb_NO.ISO-8859-1"
No joy.

I'm happy to report that nothing blew up during my very first experiment
with Linux coding or any other kind of coding for that matter. However
I'm still in need of being able to display norwegian characters. It may
well be that I explained myself poorly last time so I'll have another
go.

My machine uses english dialogue cards with me but I read and sometimes
have to write norwegian. I want the language the machine and I "talk"
together with to remain english but I want to change the character
coding so that norwegian letters show. Right now all my norwegian
documents are full of holes where =E6,=F8,=E5 should be.

Can you or anyone who has a moment, have a look at my
/etc/sysconfig/language - file and tell me what's wrong with it. It's
pasted in below. By the way I read norwegian all right so I have no
problem with anyone answering me in Norsk.

Thankx a lot!

Bones

Alas I did not have the presence of mind to save the original first but
the modified file looks like this:

## Path:	System/Environment/Language
## Type:=09

string(POSIX,ca_ES.ISO-8859-1,ca_ES.UTF-8,cs_CZ.ISO-8859-2,cs_CZ.UTF-8,da=
_DE@euro,da_DK.ISO-8859-1,da_DK.UTF-8,de_DE@euro,de_DE.ISO-8859-1,de_DE.U=

F-8,el_GR.ISO-8859-7,el_GR.UTF-8,en_GB.ISO-8859-1,en_GB.UTF-8,en_IE@euro,=
en_IE.ISO-8859-1,en_US.ISO-8859-1,es_ES@euro,es_ES.ISO-8859-1,es_ES.UTF-8=
,fr_

FR@euro,fr_FR.ISO-8859-1,fr_FR.UTF-8,gl_ES@euro,gl_ES.ISO-8859-1,gl_ES.ut=
f-8,hr_HR.ISO-8859-2,hu_HU.ISO-8859-2,hu_HU.UTF-8,it_IT@euro,it_IT.ISO-88=
59-1,it_IT.U

TF-8,ja_JP.eucJP,ja_JP.UTF-8,lt_LT.ISO-8859-13,lt_LT.UTF-8,nl_NL@euro,nl_=
NL.ISO-8859-1,nl_NL.UTF-8,ru_RU.ISO-8859-5,ru_RU.KOI8R,ru_RU.UTF-8,sk_SK.=
ISO-8859-2

,sk_SK.UTF-8,tr_TR.ISO-8859-9,tr_TR.UTF-8,ko_KR.eucKR,ko_KR.UTF-8,zh_TW.B=
ig5,zh_TW.UTF-8,zh_CN.GB2312,zh_CN.UTF-8)
## Default:	""
## Config:    =20
OpenOffice.org,groff,ispell,kde,kdm3,profiles,susehelp,susewm,tetex,wdm
#
#
# Local users will get RC_LANG as their default language, i.e. the
# environment variable $LANG . $LANG is the default of all
$LC_*-variables,
# as long as $LC_ALL is not set, which overrides all $LC_-variables.
# Root uses this variable only if ROOT_USES_LANG is set to "yes".
#
RC_LANG=3D"nb_NO.ISO-8859-1"

## Type:	string
## Default:	""
#
# This variable will override all LC-variables!!
# Again, ROOT_USES_LANG must be set to "yes", if an effect on the
superuser
# account is desired.
#
RC_LC_ALL=3D"nb_NO.ISO-8859-1"

## Type:	string
## Default:	""
#
# This defines the locale in which messages of programs and
# libraries with i18n-support should appear if a translated
# message catalog for the library or the program is installed.
# This also provides localized yes/no answers.
#
RC_LC_MESSAGES=3D""

## Type:	string
## Default:	""
#
# This defines the locale for character handling and classification.
# The libc uses this value in language dependent function calls, such
# as e.g. uppercase/lowercase mapping of foreign characters.
#
RC_LC_CTYPE=3D"nb_NO.ISO-8859-1"

## Type:	string
## Default:	""
#
# This defines the locale for sorting strings and characters.
# It is used by the libc to obtain the alphabetical order of characters
# (e.g. for string comparisons).
#
RC_LC_COLLATE=3D""

## Type:	string
## Default:	""
#
# This defines the locale for date and time output formats.
# i.e.: 06/09/1999 vs. 09.06.1999
#
RC_LC_TIME=3D""

## Type:	string
## Default:	""
#
# This defines the locale for formatting and reading numbers.
# i.e.: 1,234.56 vs. 1.234,56
#
RC_LC_NUMERIC=3D""

## Type:	string
## Default:	""
#
# This defines the locale for formatting and reading money values.
#
RC_LC_MONETARY=3D""

## Type:	string(ctype)
## Default:	ctype
#
# This defines if the user "root" should use the locale settings
# which are defined here.
# Value "ctype" means that root uses just LC_CTYPE.=20
#
ROOT_USES_LANG=3D"ctype"

## Type:        yesno
## Default:     no
#
# Workaround for missing forward of LANG and LC variables
# of e.g. ssh login connections.
#
AUTO_DETECT_UTF8=3D"no"