[Olug-list] Converting from UTF-8 to iso-8859-1

Jan Frederik Solem janso at powertech.no
Mon, 15 Nov 2004 13:40:33 +0100 (CET)

Aina&Bones sa:

> Hello all!
>
> I need to globally change my newly installed Linux Suse 9.1 operating
> system from UTF-8 to iso-8859-1 so that it can display the norwegian
> letters å,æ,ø. Can anyone help me with this. Perhaps I should mention
> that the language the operating system uses to communicate with me is
> english.

Ehmmmm... UTF-8 is supposed to display Norwegian letters! As well as all
other Latin letters, Cyrillic script, Runes, Ogham script, Perl script
(OK, so I made up that last one - it doesn't actually display perl
directly, it must be transliterated using Latin letters...;-)! So you seem
to have gotten something else veeeery wrong here.

What about using YAST to configure your SUSE system? Or just install it
from scratch using default settings?;-)

- Jan Frederik Solem

P.S. It's "æ, ø, å" - "å, æ, ø" is Swedish (of MySQL fame).