[Olug-list] Re: Vurdert røykeforbud under OLUG-samlingene i bunkeren?

Thomas Gramstad Thomas Gramstad <thomas@ifi.uio.no>
Mon, 30 Sep 2002 22:48:54 +0200 (MEST)

On Sat, 28 Sep 2002, Remco B. Brink wrote:
> Per Inge Oestmoen <pioe@coldsiberia.org> writes:
>
>> Remco B. Brink wrote:

>>> ...and non-smokers are less social. Right.

>>> That said, saying that smoking is "ukultur" is an extremely weak
>>> argument.

>> It is not an argument. It is a _principle_. Those who live by
>> principles adhere to beliefs.

> And we all know that people who (fanaticly) adhere to beliefs have a
> tendency to become quite unreasonable.
>
> I smoke, yet can understand that non-smokers might find a smokefree
> OLUG meeting more pleasant to attend. I guess that makes me more
> reasonable than you ;-)

I don't think that conclusion follows, since a majority of smokers
are bothered by second-hand smoke from _other_ smokers (which is
why so many smokers prefer non-smoking seats in airplanes, trains
etc.).  It's not difficult for this large group to understand that
other people are bothered by it too, so generally they are polite
and considerate about their own smoking.  As always, it is a
minority that constitute the high-profile troublemakers.

                           - Thomas