[Olug-list] eZ Publish Conference

Denis Braekhus denis@startsiden.no
Tue, 26 Aug 2003 11:18:26 +0200

On Tuesday 26 August 2003 10:47, Remco B. Brink wrote:
> > Det er endel ting som gj=F8r at eZ har en h=F8yere terskel enn f.eks.
> > phpNuke o.l. men det er ogs=E5 mange ting som gj=F8r at det er verd =E5
> > bestige terskelen :-)
> If that threshold is what's stopping you from installing eZ, which is
> what basically turned my attention to other products way-back-when, then
> there are plenty of alternatives that are code-wise considerably better
> than phpNuke.

I am aware of a good number of alternatives, however very very few packages=
=20
have the features needed for more exciting content than mere newsmessages=20
with few or no images.. eZ Publish lets you define your needs, maybe a litt=
le=20
too much so actually because the 3.x series was very basic with built in=20
functionality.=20
That has however changed, both eZ and the community are continually improvi=
ng=20
the available number of plugins, datatypes and classes. Even complete=20
sitesetups which require little in the way of templating etc are beginning =
to=20
appear.

> Drupal [1] for example has a nice little managed Debian package [2] in
> Debian's unstable tree. Drupal is used on a range of websites [3].

Well, if Drupal suits your needs I think you should stick to it, I have=20
checked it out, and yes it is very simple to install and quite nice, but tr=
y=20
to make a site which does not resemble slashdot and you might find you need=
=20
to code quite a bit.=20

> If eZ indeed got improved so much since the 2.x range, then I think it's
> about time I give the system a spin again. Quite curious, actually :)

Maybe you should wait a little more, or possibly check out the demos that a=
re=20
available online :

http://admindemo.ezpublish.no/ (version 3.2 beta I think)
http://www.opensourcecms.com/modules.php?name=3DContent&pa=3Dshowpage&pid=
=3D55=20
(version 3.1-1)

=2D --=20
Denis Br=E6khus - ABC Startsiden AS
http://www.startsiden.no

"Ah, " said Arthur, "this is obviously some strange usage=20
of the word safe that I wasn't previously aware of. "
(Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy)