[Olug-list] eZ Publish Conference

Remco B. Brink remco@rc6.org
Tue, 26 Aug 2003 11:55:50 +0200

<quote who=3D"Denis Braekhus">

>=20
> On Tuesday 26 August 2003 10:47, Remco B. Brink wrote:
> > > Det er endel ting som gj=F8r at eZ har en h=F8yere terskel enn f.eks.
> > > phpNuke o.l. men det er ogs=E5 mange ting som gj=F8r at det er verd =
=E5
> > > bestige terskelen :-)
> >
> > If that threshold is what's stopping you from installing eZ, which
> > is what basically turned my attention to other products
> > way-back-when, then there are plenty of alternatives that are
> > code-wise considerably better than phpNuke.
>=20
> I am aware of a good number of alternatives, however very very few
> packages have the features needed for more exciting content than mere
> newsmessages with few or no images.. eZ Publish lets you define your
> needs, maybe a little too much so actually because the 3.x series was
> very basic with built in functionality.=20

Drupal core does not support this. However one of the things I like
about Drupal is its dedicated userbase, who constantly develop modules
that work with the core system.

The image.module for example, with both MySQL and PostgreSQL support,
allows users with proper permissions to upload images into Drupal.
Thumbnails are created automaticaly. Images can be posted individualy to
the front page, included in stories or grouped in galleries. Galleries
are either personal, i.e linked to a user, or global to the Drupal site.
=20
> > Drupal [1] for example has a nice little managed Debian package [2]
> > in Debian's unstable tree. Drupal is used on a range of websites
> > [3].
>=20
> Well, if Drupal suits your needs I think you should stick to it,=20

So far it's the CMS that by far covers my needs best.

> I have checked it out, and yes it is very simple to install and quite
> nice, but try to make a site which does not resemble slashdot and you
> might find you need to code quite a bit.=20

True, though by far not as much anymore as in the early days. Especially
not if you look at the latest CVS versions.
=20
> > If eZ indeed got improved so much since the 2.x range, then I think
> > it's about time I give the system a spin again. Quite curious,
> > actually :)
>=20
> Maybe you should wait a little more, or possibly check out the demos
> that are available online :

And that admin demo interface immediately leads to my biggest issue with
eZ.

As soon as I log in, I am left with a feeling of utter confusion. The
interface is far from intuitive, I would even come close to say that it
doesn't make sense at all.

Click on "content", select "white box" for example. Suddenly the tab in
the top of the page flips to "users". Is "white box" a user? Am I now
changing user settings? I thought I was editing content?

Clicking on "preview" shows me the exact same page, minus a bunch of the
things I expect are content that I can turn on. Or am I previewing
something else here?

I would *love* to "get" eZ, spend some time hacking on it maybe even.
It's opensource, it's GPL'ed, it's Norwegian, it's got a company
spending time working on it, etc. But so far the system is just really
confusing, non-intuitive (with a total lack of help in the admin
interface) and seems terribly hard to get in to.

-rbb

--=20
       Remco B. Brink -- IS Developer / CDTT -- Opera Software ASA
   Personal site at http://rc6.org - PGP key at http://rc6.org/rbb.pgp